Sunday, July 10, 2011

Summery Artist: Selkie's Crochet

Scarves and gloves on the beach?! These may not be what most Americans think of as beach apparel, but they are a "must" in Ireland! Check out Rosemary's shop, blog, and Facebook page!


Tell us a little bit about your shop and how you got started:
I only picked up crochet last year but seemed to take to it like a duck to water - I love having 'something' on the go all the time and there's only so much that I can wear myself or give to friends and family so a friend suggested that I open an Etsy shop...my first item sold (to my friend, bless her!) in July last year and since then I've had 92 sales to all over the world!



How does the ocean/beach inspire you?
Oh gosh - well I grew up right on the sea, here in County Kerry, Ireland - I spent most of my childhood on the local beaches and it remains my favourite place to go to relax and have some 'me' time; I am a born beachcomber! I am lucky enough to be back living at home again now, after living in the UK for a long time (in the midlands - as land-locked as you could be) and I love to take my crochet down to the beach with me -- this is me working on a bag. Our house and garden are full of beach-combed treasures - from whale bones to pretty shells -- we even burn driftwood in the winter to keep warm! 


What is your favorite beach destination? Why?
I've never actually gone on a 'beach holiday'  apart from visiting various beaches in the UK while we lived there. My favourite beaches would all be local ones - our coast is so varied, you can choose from long sandy strands or proper rugged rocky beaches: I prefer the rocky ones - they are always more atmospheric and you are less likely to bump into other people there.


Anything else we should know?
I'd love to have the chance to thank my friend Carrie for introducing me to Etsy and for being my Etsy-guru.


No comments:

Post a Comment