Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Summery Artist: SSMDesign

This Floridian makes beachy jewelry! Thanks for the interview, Stephanie! Check out her shopblog, and website!




Tell us a little bit about your shop and how you got started:
started making jewelry as a creative outlet. My J O B was not where I saw myself when I started out in the world, which is why I very recently quit to focus on my craft full-time. I'm still finding my own voice in my creativity, so I don't limit myself to one technique or medium. I am always learning and trying different things and right now my shop has an eclectic mix of all my trials. 


I only make jewelry I would wear, so my designs tend to be more delicate and girly. I have a relationship with every piece I create and a lot of who I am goes into them. So while I am always elated when someone else loves one of my pieces and purchases it for themselves, I am a little sad to see it go! 



How does the ocean/beach inspire you?
The beach is my calm, my center, when I look out over the water I see infinite possibilities! There is no end, no ceiling, no expectation only the endless individuality and creativity mother nature has conceived beneath its surface.








What is your favorite beach destination? Why?
That's a difficult one and I can't pick just one, each of these is a favorite for different very reasons! The beach near my home, is a private beach where I can simply take it all in and just be. It's what I imagine old Florida to be, with dunes and rocks, before all of developers took it over. And a little north of here, there is a sandbar that can only be accessed by boat (or if you're a distance swimmer) to stand there is like walking on water, and it's just peppered with sand dollars! But then there are the beaches of Hawaii, my all time favorite place, and like no other! There is a beach on the The Big Island, a green sand beach, created entirely of olivine, a gem that forms within volcanic rock. It is quite a hike to get to, but so worth the work!




*Stephanie is having a sale in honor of her shop's 2 year anniversary. Customers will receive 10% off and free shipping with a special code. "How can I get this code?" Just "like" her Facebook page or follow her on Twitter!







1 comment: